Prognostic factors in patients with pressure sores in a university hospital in Southern Brazil

Gustavo Palmeiro Walter, William Seidel, Renata Della Giustina, Thiago Alessandro Ferry, Jorge Bins-Ely, Rosemeri Maurici, Janaína Luz Narciso-Schiavon

Resumo


Objective: Despite advances in medical care, hospitalized patients and those with spinal cord injury often develop pressure sores. This study aimed to describe the epidemiological characteristics of pressure sores and to evaluate factors associated with recurrence and cure. Methods: A historical cohort study, where clinical and laboratory data were collected from medical records. Results: Sixty individuals were included. The mean age was 38.116.5 years, 83% were men and 87% identified as white. Most patients (85%) presented with paraplegia, amputation, or trauma of the lower limbs with motor sequelae; the remainder (15%) suffered from quadriplegia. Most (78%) underwent plastic surgery, and the mean follow-up time was 1.8 ± 2.5 years. Healing of the lesions was observed in 66% of patients. Recurrence occurred in 25% of patients and was associated with the location of the lesions. Patients with recurrent lesions had a larger number of lesions and longer treatment duration. Individuals whose ulcers had healed had fewer injuries and a higher body mass index (BMI), higher hemoglobin level and a higher proportion of them had undergone plastic surgery. Conclusions: BMI, hemoglobin level, location and number of lesions are prognostic factors that must be taken into account by the medical team.



Atha Comunicação e Editora Ltda Rua Machado Bittencourt, 190 conj. 410 CEP: 04044-903 Vila Clementino Tel.: 5579-5308/ 5087-9502